The weeks in brief: 21 January – 10 February

Posted on | February 10, 2013 | 16 Comments

Spork

Do you like my new titanium spork? :)

Another one for my collection. Huzzah! Thanh also gave me a splayd that I haven’t photographed yet.

2013 is looking like a good year for sporks.

Sunset

Anyway. It’s been a quietish few weeks. The parents have gone home (boohoohoo) so I’m adjusting to doing my own housework and cooking my own dinners. Waaaah.

Happy birthday

It was my lovely DD’s birthday at the end of January. Birthday lamington came all the way from Flour and Stone in Sydney, courtesy of Shellie.

Gami

There was also celebratory Gami fried chicken. It was the yum. We ordered original flavour and the spicy flavour.

I liked the spicy flavour but it was a bit too much for most people at the table… weaklings… so be warned – spicy is spicy(ish).

Cake

Speaking of birthdays, it was also my Boss’s birthday recently. I baked her a cake. It was okay. Ehhhhhh. I just wasn’t feeling it that day.

Reading Rooms

We went to Reading Rooms again where I had crab cakes. Yum.

Catspam

I interrupt this post for catspam. Cat is courtesy of Dany. :) He’s cute, huh?

Pacific BBQ House

This week we had dinner at Pacific Seafood BBQ House, thanks to the organising efforts of Mr S&H. It was good, particularly the salted egg ribs (which aren’t pictured because they sadly look rather disgusting in photos… wait until I blog it and you’ll see what I mean…)

Cider

Lamb chop

Remember how I said I had to cook my own dinners again?

I’ve had to cook my own dinners again. :(

Blueberries

Kat gave me some blueberries that I’ve been chomping for breakfast with yoghurt and paleo granola. (I am back on that train.)

My love for blueberries is about as great as my (current) love for fresh grapes.

Gong cha

Oh! I finally tried Gong Cha! I wasn’t sure what to order (SO MANY OPTIONS) but I didn’t want anything too milky or sweet, so I just ordered a black tea with milk foam and half sugar.

And it was so yum. That salty milk foam is just… aaaahhhhhdroolface.

It’s a good thing I don’t work in the city, because I think I’d be there every day.

Yong tau fu

Also good that I went home after buying Gong Cha because I wanted another one as soon as I finished it. :p

Alastair bought me yong tau fu for dinner instead. So yum part 2.

Quiet Man

That Guinness wasn’t mine, but I did drink a bit of it. That foam is also yum+.

Apparently I have a thing for foam. (Maz 2.0 speak up, I know you want to.)

Abyssinian

Last night we had dinner at The Abyssinian. It’s still good.

This was the platter for four people – there was so much food. Alastair and Nigel managed to polish most of it off – respect.

CNY

Happy Chinese New Year, btw. Last night there were surprise! fireworks to bring in the new year.

It was surprise! fireworks because we didn’t know they were happening until the loudness woke us up. Oh well, we had a nice view of them from our place.

Alfajores

This weekend I baked alfajores, using a jar of salted caramel sauce that Thanh gave me for Christmas. Mhhmmmmm. I will blog it, they are sooo crumbly (ie fragile) but good.

Dahon

We also had lunch at Dahon.

Dahon lunch

I had bbq skewers and empanadas. (There was also deep fried pork belly, ohmy.)

Ube cake

I finished with purple cake is purple (ube-macapuno cake).

Clement

And then coffee at Clement Coffee. Mhmmmm.

Alastair is holding the cup in a strange way because it was stupidly hot. I carried it around for 15 minutes before I could drink it.

Blue

Look, this is my favourite colour. :)

How’re you all?

Comments

16 Responses to “The weeks in brief: 21 January – 10 February”

1. Dayna
    February 11th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

I think my favorite part of this post is all of the cakes; the one you made for your boss is so pretty (I love the little pearl sprinkles!) and I totally dig that purple cake,too!
    Dayna recently posted..Let’s Meditate! What is Meditation?

Sprinkles are the best :D

February 11th, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

Awww it’s a shame that your parents left before Chinese New Year :(

But nonetheless Happy Chinese New Year! Even though you say it’s a quiet kind of week, it was still filled with catch up with friends and amazing food YAY!
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..Meat Fruit – Dinner By Heston

I KNOW. I don’t know why they left so early!

February 11th, 2013 @ 2:22 pm

I have totally been enjoying fresh grapes this summer, too! Must also go to Gami for spicy chicken (must retain my tolerance for heat at a strong level, being in a Western country that lulls us into weaklings and all), and drop by Gong Cha.
    leaf (the indolent cook) recently posted..a mini-detox? going raw for one day (almost two)!

Grapes have been AHMAZING this summer.

And yes to spicy chicken and Gong Cha. Do it :)

4. Dany
    February 11th, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

That’s one good lookin’ cat. Also: FRIED CHOOKEN

That cat is very handsome.

5. GourmetGetaways
    February 13th, 2013 @ 10:47 am

I loved the look of the spicy chicken YUM! I want it :)

What a shame your parents have gone home and you have to cook your own meals again :(

I love all the meals you have been having out though, delish :)
    GourmetGetaways recently posted..Street Treats Guest Post: A Guide to Penang Street Food

I can’t believe my parents would leave me to do my own housework and cooking. What kind of parents are they?!

6. Ashley
    February 15th, 2013 @ 8:45 am

Is Dany a scottish fold? So cute, those ears!

And happy CNY! :) Abyssinian looks amazing, need to go!
    Ashley recently posted..Tasmania – Launceston

Yup, Dany’s cat is a cross between a Scottish Fold and a Russian Blue.

7. April
    February 15th, 2013 @ 3:27 pm

I just realised from looking at your photos, I saw you 3 times during that week in brief :)

I want to go to try Gong Cha now after your rave, but maybe not since we don’t seem to have similar tastes :P I always think those bubble tea and Asian drinks taste like dishwater.
    April recently posted..Highlights of Hong Kong Fine Dining

I have a feeling you will hate Gong Cha.. but it’s SO GOOD.

March 2nd, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

What a busy week! And It’s all downhill for me now!
    msihua recently posted..Oscar Cooper @ Prahran, VIC – Great Food, Great Atmosphere

Yep, all downhill. Give up now. :p