Rockwell and Sons

Posted on | May 3, 2013 | 17 Comments

Rockwell and Sons

The logo for Rockwell and Sons is a black pig. As logos go, it’s pretty neat and it gives you a clue that it’s not a place that’s particularly vegetarian friendly.

Located on Smith Street in Collingwood, Rockwell and Son serves up American style diner foods: burgers (listed as sandwiches), hush puppies, onion rings, plus mac and cheese, amongst other things.

Beer

I had dinner there the other month with Haz, Gaz, April and Lky. Between the five of us, we selected five sandwiches, one appetiser, and a couple of sides. Five sandwiches between five was super fun times when it came to splitting them (I don’t recommend).

Confit wings

From the Appetisers, we ordered the confit duck wings with red dragon sauce, scallions and sesame ($10), which were really good and covered in a very strongly flavoured sauce.

Prawn roll

On to sandwiches! First was the Maine-style tiger prawn roll ($12), which came with prawns in a Kewpie mayo sauce, and topped with capers and pickled celery in a soft, sweetish bun ($12).

Chicken burger

This was the fried chicken sandwich with buttermilk dressing, iceberg lettuce, Kaitaia fire ($12). This might have been the middle child of the sandwiches – it didn’t stand out but it was a solid performer.

Lamb

Slightly more stand outish was the pulled Poon Boon lamb sandwich with harissa slaw, smoked eggplant ($12).

Pork rib

The pressed rib sandwich with BBQ sauce, dill, fennel, onion ($9) was a thing of beauty: juicy pieces of rib meat with pickled, crunchy fennel and onion in a lightly toasted bun.

Cheese burger

And the final sandwich (burger): the Double patty smash burger with Kraft, special sauce on a seeded bun ($10). Lky commented that it was “just like a better quality Big Mac”. I can’t remember the last time I ate a Big Mac but it feels like I’m insulting this burger with that comment. It was good!

Onion rings

We also had two serves of the onion rings with Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce ($7). They actually could’ve used a bit more salt, though the batter on them was thin and crisp. I wasn’t a big fan of the Dr Pepper bbq sauce though, it was a bit full on for me.

Mac and Cheese

And finally, we also had mac and cheese ($9). We all found the mac and cheese strangely sour. It wasn’t terrible, but we would’ve enjoyed it more if it hadn’t had the sour edge to it.

Rockwell

All in all it was a pretty good meal and we definitely ate our carb and fat quota for the day.

I liked Rockwell and Sons. The atmosphere there is casual, the serves are a satisfying size and everything is pretty well priced.

Oh and hey – don’t feel that you have to be limited to only eating burgers for dinner – I’ve noticed that they’re also listed on the breakfast menu. So next time you have a craving for a double patty smash burger at 10am, you know where to go…

Rockwell and Sons
288 Smith Street
Collingwood
Web: rockwellandsons.com.au

Rockwell and Sons on Urbanspoon

Comments

17 Responses to “Rockwell and Sons”

May 4th, 2013 @ 1:03 am

Yah yah yah burgers… BUT CHILLI ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS.
    Hannah recently posted..Pumpkin Peanut Puff Pudding, Vegan and Gluten-free

Yah yah yah whatevs. ;)

2. Keren
    May 4th, 2013 @ 3:36 pm

Mmmm, I will have to keep this in mind as a good counter-suggestion next time my husband wants Grill’d (nothing wrong with it but I’m ready for a change)!
    Keren recently posted..Summer Dreaming

Oh it’s a great counter suggestion :) and not that much more expensive.

3. jac
    May 4th, 2013 @ 9:27 pm

Like Hannah the Chilli Roasted Pumpkin Seeds jumped out at me! Add the prawn roll and those delicious looking onion rings and I think I’d be pretty happy!
    jac recently posted..Fig, Goat’s Cheese and Prosciutto

Damn, we should’ve ordered the chilli roasted pumpkin seeds then. :) Next time!

4. Jo
    May 4th, 2013 @ 9:42 pm

can’t wait to go! I heard they do fried buttermilk chicken on Wednesdays!
    Jo recently posted..Bistro Guillaume

I’ve heard that too. Go try it out and report back :)

May 6th, 2013 @ 8:40 am

HAHHA funny you say that if you want a double patty smash burger at 10am because that’s exactly what Ricky did LOL ate one there…then ordered another one to take home and have it for breakfast the next day hahaha
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..An Extra Day – 8 Days Cafe

Hahaha oh Ricky… that is epic…

6. Genie
    May 6th, 2013 @ 12:01 pm

Most of the dishes look good but that mac and cheese looks like it was plated by a child. No inspiration at all! I guess that is what you get for ordering mac and cheese at a restaurant?

I’ve never had a deviled egg at a restaurant. I think I would want to try it.
    Genie recently posted..Monday Bunday: Rabbit Restaurant logos

Hahaha I guess it’s a bit hard to plate mac and cheese?

7. Ashley
    May 9th, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

Oh maaan those onion rings look soooo good!
    Ashley recently posted..Hammer & Tong 412 – Dinner

They would’ve been amazing with a bit more salt :)

May 11th, 2013 @ 7:10 pm

Oh hey, those wings were amazeballs!
    msihua recently posted..No-Bake ‘Manjari 64%’ Chocolate Tarts with Honeyed Grilled Figs Recipe

They were!

May 14th, 2013 @ 11:42 am

Totes looking forward to going here on Sunday. Hope they serve us burgers at this beer thing. nom town. not too keen on sour mac n cheese though