Hammer and Tong

Posted on | April 3, 2013 | 11 Comments

Coffee

Random Fridays off work are the best. The Best.

Not just because it means a three day weekend (and when is that going to be implemented world wide? I will join that movement) but because sometimes it means that I get to have breakfast with my friend Em.

Hammer and Tong

She lives east and I live west, so we try and meet in the middle which generally means Fitzroy or Collingwood. Our latest breakfast was at Hammer and Tong, courtesy of a suggestion from Brunch Queen.

Hammer and Tong opened in February in the spot where the short lived Brix was located. The room hasn’t changed much since the Brix (minus the mega massive pig statue) – it’s still a beautiful, bright room with large windows and white brick walls.

Coffee

It was a bit hard choosing what to eat when faced with options like coconut black rice pudding with mango, or buttermilk pancakes served with blueberries, maple syrup and popping candy ice cream (!) or truffled duck egg on toast.

Baked eggs

Eventually I decided on the baked eggs in tomato fondue with chorizo, manchego and flatbread ($17). It was nice. If I’m being super fussy maybe the sauce could’ve used a touch more oomph. That’s just being very critical though – it was a decent dish.

Scrambled eggs

Em chose the scrambled eggs with brioche toast, haloumi and tomato relish ($16). She commented that it was really good though she did get a bit defeated by the haloumi.

Doughnuts

We had a second round of coffees because we were busy chatting and were given a couple of complimentary Italian doughnuts. Yum. Pretty much a perfect doughnut – not too sweet or doughy.

Hammer and Tong

Hammer and Tong was really pleasant – the food was good, staff were lovely, and on a Friday morning it wasn’t too busy, which meant we had lots of time and space for a lovely catch up. Huzzah for random workfree Fridays.

Hammer and Tong 412
Rear 412 Brunswick Street
Fitzroy 3065
Web: hammerandtong412.com.au

Hammer and Tong 412 on Urbanspoon

Comments

11 Responses to “Hammer and Tong”

April 4th, 2013 @ 3:43 am

Bonus treats because you stayed so long? SO GOOD.
    Hannah recently posted..Comment on Askinosie White Chocolate and Pistachio by Hannah

I know!

2. CheezyK
    April 4th, 2013 @ 6:38 pm

Looks like a delightful way to spend a day off :)
    CheezyK recently posted..Travelday – The Roman Forum and Surrounds

It was pretty good :) (Beats going to work!)

April 4th, 2013 @ 9:24 pm

I AM QUEEN! BOW TO MY SUPERIOR BRUNCH KNOWLEDGE :P
    msihua recently posted..MFWF 2013: Redheads Gourmet BBQ Festival Masterclass Tips

You are the Queen. *bows*

April 5th, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

Serving donuts on a petri dish.. now why didn’t I think of that… :P

Nice work, I think you should go back to full time work eventually though ;)
    Iron Chef Shellie recently posted..Teriyaki Salmon with Soba Noodles

The next food trend: food on a petri dish.

And don’t tease, I could get used to this PT business.

5. Gourmet Getaways
    April 6th, 2013 @ 7:18 am

I love the sound of the truffled duck eggs!! …although if I was in a sweet mood I would have to choose the black rice in coconut milk. I love days off through the week too :)
    Gourmet Getaways recently posted..Food & Wine Writers Picnic

They’re good, aren’t they? It’s like playing hooky. :D

April 8th, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

Ahhh Hammer and Tong have been on my list since they’ve opened up :) But so many can’t keep up ~

Everything looks delicious and it’s nice that they gave you some complimentary donuts!
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..Breakfast Balls – Meatball & Wine Bar