Pacific Seafood BBQ House

Posted on | March 1, 2013 | 14 Comments

Seafood Pacific BBQ House

This dinner at Pacific Seafood BBQ House was organised through Instagram. Yep, it’s not just for photos of food, cats or sporks, you can also use it to schedule catch ups.

This is how it happened. Mr S&H posted Instagram photos of a dinner at PSBH several weeks ago and somehow, through the comments, dinner was organised. I don’t know exactly how it happened, I just showed up. :)

Pacific Seafood BBQ House is a cheap and cheerful restaurant on Victoria Street in Richmond. The food order was left to Wince, since he goes there a lot and knows what’s good.

Soup

We all started with a bowl of (I assume complimentary) soup. Not much to rave about, it was pretty salty.

Roast duck

One of the things PSBH is known for is their roast meats. We ordered some roast duck (1/2 for $23, whole for $46) which was very good – nice flavour, hardly any fat and crispy skin.

Roast pork

The crispy roast pork ($20) didn’t quite live up to the duck. It was okay, but as Thanh mentioned, we all make better roast pork than that.

Salted egg chicken ribs

The dish I was most intrigued by was the salted egg chicken ribs ($22). Okay, just putting this out there – yes, they don’t look very appetising – however they tasted much better than they look. The salted egg yolk batter gave a lovely rich flavour to the ribs.

Pipis

Pipis with XO sauce ($22) and fried dough. The pipis were good. Dunno about the fried dough, but perhaps I’m too stuck on fried dough only being eaten with congee or wrapped in rice noodles.

Tofu

The pi pa tofu ($20) was probably my favourite dish – it’s mashed tofu with seafood / prawn paste, which is then deep fried and served with sauce and broccoli.

Eggplant

I think this was the deep fried eggplant in prawn paste with garlic and chilli ($24). I don’t think I’ve ever meet deep fried eggplant that I haven’t liked.

Eel with black bean sauce

I’ve eaten plenty of eel before, but never like this – here slices of eel were steamed and served with black bean sauce ($24). I was kind of borderline on this dish. While I love black bean, I’m not sure that eel stands up to the strong flavour of it.

Spinach

And finally we had a token green dish – spinach with two egg sauce ($21).

Overall, dinner was pleasant and service was efficient but not terrible or rude. Big thanks to Wince for sharing one of his favourite spots and I look forward to more Instagram organised dinners.

Pacific Seafood BBQ House
240 Victoria St
Richmond

Pacific Seafood BBQ House on Urbanspoon

Comments

14 Responses to “Pacific Seafood BBQ House”

1. GourmetGetaways
    March 2nd, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

WOW!! The duck skin looks just amazing, shame about the pork. Love the token green dish too ;) What a great catch up :)
    GourmetGetaways recently posted..Chicken Caesar Muffuletta

Always need a token green dish :D

March 2nd, 2013 @ 7:45 pm

Well we tagged you into the photos that’s how you showed up :P
    msihua recently posted..Oscar Cooper @ Prahran, VIC – Great Food, Great Atmosphere

Yeah yeah yeah :p

3. Sarah
    March 3rd, 2013 @ 12:03 am

Cool! I’ve been to Pacific House a few times, but only for roast meats on rice – never tried the dishes before. The eggplant looks great!
    Sarah recently posted..The Unblogged Files: February 2013

I looove eggplant, particularly cooked like that. :D So yum.

4. Julie
    March 4th, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

I am still yet to visit, a bit of a shame about the roasted pork belly. The rest of the dishes looks really good!
    Julie recently posted..Anada

The pork belly wasn’t bad – just not amazing. :)

March 5th, 2013 @ 9:23 am

My parents love PSBH and lol they know the owner so when they’re here we go all the time :) My parents only like and basically eat Cantonese food and they think they do a good job here ~ Like you I liked some of the dishes and found their pork can be inconsistent sometimes it’s amazing other times not so much :(
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..World’s Largest Yum Cha – Melbourne Food and Wine Festival

If it gets Chinese parental approval, it must be pretty good. ;) Too bad the pork is inconsistent.

6. April
    March 5th, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

What?! You didn’t like the Chinese donut in the pipi sauce? It soaks up all the goodness and pipi sauce has a lot more flavour than congee! :)
    April recently posted..Highlights of Hong Kong Fine Dining

It was okay… and congee can have tons of flavour! Bro makes awesome congee.

7. Peach
    March 5th, 2013 @ 9:26 pm

Oh Gosh! it’s been years since I last visited PSBH! Back in my uni days. But the one I went to was not the one in Richmond but on Lonsdale St. I’ve yet to go to the one in Richmond!

Ah is the one in the city any good? I hate going to Richmond unless I’m forced to. Haha.