The week in brief: 11 June – 17 June

Posted on | June 17, 2012 | 14 Comments

This week: yum cha brunch, a hot chocolate AS BIG AS MY FACE, black bean spare ribs reprise and brunch in Seddon.

Monday was the Queen’s birthday public holiday here in Melbourne, and what better way to celebrate than to have yum cha for brunch? We went to Tao Tao House with my Dastardly friend Haz and Gazman.

Yum cha was delish, except their cheong fun was overcooked (again). It seems to be the one yum cha dish they can’t seem to do right. Everything else was good though, and Haz and I finished with two eggg tarts each… cough.

(I’ve blogged Tao Tao House before here.)

Instead of going straight home, Alastair and I did some grocery shopping, and then we had a hot chocolate at Fraus in North Melbourne. I had a MASSIVE pistachio hot chocolate. Eeeeek I wasn’t expecting it to be so big.

In addition to my bowl of chocolate, Alastair and I also shared a banana caramel crepe with macadamias. It was great, and surprisingly restrained in terms of sweetness. But I took a couple of bites, started instagramming, and then looked up to see that Alastair had quietly scoffed it all. Haha.

(I’ve blogged Fraus before here – a long time ago!)

Catspam makes a return. :) :) :)

The cats are SO cuddly in the winter. SQUISH.

This weekend I did a bit of cooking. I made black bean spare ribs again so I could take proper photos and blog it.

Here’s the finished product! Yum. (Yes Haz, I totally ate rice.)

Today we headed out earlyish to do boring errands, but as a bonus we stopped at Chicco in Seddon for brunch (auto play video warning on that link). This is Alastair’s wasabi salmon. He gave it a yum+. :)

It’s a nice cafe – their coffee was good too. Actually, Seddon itself is really nice. I don’t know why we don’t spend more time there.

When we got home, I baked. Caaaaake. This was banana caramel cake. It was friggen awesome – toot toot.

Now – over to you. Eat anything good this week?

Comments

14 Responses to “The week in brief: 11 June – 17 June”

1. Fiona
    June 17th, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

Gorgeous sky line x
    Fiona recently posted..Up & Running Workout #1 – a skip and a jog

Thanks :) It was a beautiful night.

2. Trish
    June 17th, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

yay CATSPAM!
    I dont know why but I always feel queezy after hot chocolate so that freeaks me out!
    T xx

Oh no, you don’t like hot chocolate? That cup would definitely not have been for you :D

June 17th, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

What a delicious week! I want pretty much all of that. That banana cake looks crazy tempting.
    leaf (the indolent cook) recently posted..movida bakery, south yarra

Banana cake = awesome.

June 18th, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

She who instagsnoozes, instantloses! BAHAHA I’m so funny.

I’m totally never interested in hot chocolate, but then you said pistachio hot chocolate and my whole sense of the world crumbled.
    Hannah recently posted..Eleven Questions and a Nudie

The pistachio hot choc was a bit weird. Like drinking praline. I should’ve ordered a coconut one (I was trying to decide between the two.)

5. Food is our religion
    June 18th, 2012 @ 10:25 pm

wow that’s a lot of hot chocolate, not sure if i can handle it. Might have to play it soft and share!
    Food is our religion recently posted..Eat Art Truck, Sydney

I tried to share… it didn’t work. Haha.

June 19th, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

Biggest… Hot… Chocolate… EVER!
    Iron Chef Shellie recently posted..Chocolate Banoffee Pie

I can’t believe I drank it all. OMG. Hello fattown.

7. Adrian (Food Rehab)
    June 19th, 2012 @ 11:18 pm

playing blog catch up…gosh, you’re link a machine gun! LOL

I agree with Al, by the looks of that salmon, I also concur with the Yum+ verdict. :)
    Adrian (Food Rehab) recently posted..Grown Up’s Lemonade BBQ Pork

Oh yeah, pumping out the posts. :p

I thought Chicco was nice. I had very tasty baked beans. :)