Hinoki Japanese Pantry

Posted on | February 7, 2014 | 14 Comments

Sushi

Can’t be bothered cooking dinner? Sureeee you could get greasy takeaway, but in my opinion a much better option is one of these sushi / sashimi platters from Hinoki Japanese Pantry.

Hinoki Japanese Pantry is a Japanese grocer plus sushi bar on Smith Street in Fitzroy. They sell a range of Japanese foodstuffs: snacks, condiments, beer, sake, and frozen goods, but there’s also a sushi bar where you can buy sushi or sashimi to take away.

Sushi platter

There’s a whole range available at the sushi bar – 89 different choices, in fact, starting from $8. This is the sushi sashimi large – number 86 – and at $52 is the most expensive item.

Sushi

It’s so impressive though: look at how beautiful it is.

Pantry

If you’re wanting sushi to take away, I recommend ordering it first before browsing the store. Ours took about ten minutes to put together, and while we waited we had a look around.

Which ended up in a filled basket of random snacks, fancy Japanese craft beer, wasabi powder and daifuku. Dangerous. I did manage to resist the packs of Japanese pickles, though I do slightly regret that now.

Sushi

After transporting the platter home, it didn’t take us long to dig in. The platter included salmon, tuna and kingfish sashimi, plus nigiri and maki.

We were quite impressed by it – every piece was fresh and delicious.

It could be the best take away ever.

Pantry

Hinoki Japanese Pantry
279 Smith Street
Fitzroy / Collingwood VIC 3065
Web: hinoki.com.au

Hinoki Japanese Pantry on Urbanspoon

Comments

14 Responses to “Hinoki Japanese Pantry”

February 8th, 2014 @ 6:03 pm

I’ve been there but only bought some miso paste to take home. That platter looks awesome! How many did it feed? At a glance it looks enough for 3 people.
    leaf (the indolent cook) recently posted..pho hien vuong pasteur, footscray

Yes, it’s probably enough for two – or three very greedy people (!).

2. Winston
    February 9th, 2014 @ 8:07 pm

I LOVE Hinoki I go in there all the time just love being in there. Glad to hear the sashimi platter is good here. My friend brought over the one from Suzuran and it was awesome! Have to try the one here
    Winston recently posted..Ah Po’s Chinese New Year Vegetarian Stew (“Jye” or “Jap Chye”)

Oooh I haven’t tried the one from Suzuran but theirs looks good too.

There’s so much awesome stuff in Hinoki – such a good place.

3. Catherine
    February 11th, 2014 @ 11:08 pm

My favourite spot for sashimi! I had the same platter as you on my first visit. Between the two of us, we ate most of it and put it back in the fridge.. Finished it all off later that day :D Love sashimi!
    Catherine recently posted..Gourmet picnic hampers in Melbourne

Haha well the two of us ate the whole thing… (!!) You obviously have more restraint than me. :D

4. Bryan
    February 12th, 2014 @ 9:45 am

Added it to my wishlist after seeing delectable pics on Instagram of it. And now this post has pushed it even higher up my to-visit list. The platter looks amazing indeed!
    Bryan recently posted..Ceres Cafe

It’s awesome :D

February 13th, 2014 @ 4:15 pm

need to go! ricky and I are always too lazy to cook dinner and he loves sushi :) But it’s annoying they close quiet early.

I wanna go hunt down the matcha goodies they have as well!!
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..Ice-cream creation – Harry’s Ice-Cream

They don’t close that early? :p We were there at 7pm, that’s not too early for dinner for you, is it?

February 16th, 2014 @ 5:32 pm

it’s. just. so. purty!!!
    Iron Chef Shellie recently posted..Chicken Soba Noodles

I knoooow, really good presentation.

February 17th, 2014 @ 9:54 pm

I want to live in that shop. So addictive!
    msihua recently posted..Playground Series: Lobster & Yolk

8. Ashley
    March 6th, 2014 @ 11:56 am

I seem to keep dining across it or nearby and thinking I want to check it out, but never get around to it. Will have to be changing this soon!
    Ashley recently posted..Argos Loves Company