Gong Cha

Posted on | May 1, 2013 | 16 Comments

Gong Cha

I have an obsession, and it is Gong Cha.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so addicted to – what is basically – a milk / bubble tea place.

Gong Cha shop

For those who have resisted the allure of Gong Cha so far (or have no idea what I’m talking about) it’s a Taiwanese style drink franchise. They have branches all over the world and Melbourne’s first store opened late last year in a tiny little shop front on Swanston Street. The shop front is itty bitty but it’s very easy to spot – just look for the large queue of people waiting to order and receive drinks.

Gong Cha pearls

I know, I know, bubble tea places are a bit same/same, but Gong Cha is different. You can get milk tea and pearls almost anywhere in Melbourne, but (as far as I’m aware) only at Gong Cha can you get milk foam as a topping.

Gong Cha

Seriously guys, the milk foam is just… uuuuugggghh. It’s thick and creamy and a bit salty (Maz 2.0, stop it), which sounds weird but it really, really works.

You can also set your desired sugar and ice level, which is just pure genius.

Gong Cha

The drink I always order is Oolong tea with milk foam (I personally like little sugar and little ice, but I’d suggest starting with a higher level to see what your tastes are like). It’s so refreshing, still tastes like tea and the milk foam is amazing.

Gong Cha

The menu is mammoth, so if you do happen to like pearls or milk in your tea, there’s a zillion other combinations to try.

Hopefully another location opens outside the CBD so I can get my tea fix more regularly. Or I can figure out how to replicate the milk foam and stop spending so much money on tea…

Gong Cha
Shop 231 Swanston Street
Melbourne
Web: gongchatea.com.au

Gong Cha on Urbanspoon

Comments

16 Responses to “Gong Cha”

May 1st, 2013 @ 9:27 pm

Yeah, it’s great that you can choose how much sugar and ice you like! I went there a few months ago but didn’t specify my sugar preferences, so it was a bit too sweet for me. Next time I’ll go for low sugar.
    leaf (the indolent cook) recently posted..honey yoghurt beetroot smoothie

Being able to specify your sugar preference and milk foam makes Gong Cha A+++

2. Catherine
    May 1st, 2013 @ 11:28 pm

Gah! I’ve been meaning to try out the oolong tea with milk foam but the queue always puts me off. Gotta try soon!
    Catherine recently posted..A Little Bird Told Me

I’ve been lucky the past couple of times I’ve been and haven’t had to wait long. But I have also queued up like a sucker before. Ahh, I have a problem.

3. Keren
    May 2nd, 2013 @ 7:41 am

I have to say there’s only really two things I miss about working in the City … one is my reading time on the train, the other is being able to pop out and check out places I read about during my lunch break! :)

I wish I still worked in the city too. But then I think of all the money I don’t spend because I don’t have easy access to shops and good food places… I guess that’s the trade off.

May 2nd, 2013 @ 11:35 am

Ooooh my lactard self desires…
    Hannah recently posted..How To Keep Falling In Love With Toronto, Part Four

Well they do have non milk teas… but then you miss out on the milk foam, which is the best part. The best.

5. Cindy
    May 2nd, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

Milk foam is new to me! I’ll have to break from my usual bubble tea habits and try it.
    Cindy recently posted..Lancashire hotpot

Yes, yes, try it! It is so much better than the other bubble tea places :)

6. Cara @ Gourmet Chick
    May 3rd, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

Hmm I have never really got into bubble tea but maybe this place will convert me. Loving all the different nail polishes in the shots!
    Cara @ Gourmet Chick recently posted..How to make tomato and basil frittata

I’m also a nail polish addict as well as a Gong Cha addict. :D

May 6th, 2013 @ 8:41 am

I just wished they would open up one in Box Hill or Westfield Doncaster :P I’m sick of Bubble Cup and Chatime…I just want Gong Cha hehe
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..An Extra Day – 8 Days Cafe

I want them to open one near meeeeeeee.

May 11th, 2013 @ 7:08 pm

You DO have an addiction! I can’t believe you dedicated a post to them… hahaha

They deserve a post! Haaaaaah.