Replete Providore: corn fritters

Posted on | October 26, 2012 | 11 Comments

Rumour has it that the best corn fritters in Melbourne are from Shellie’s kitchen. This is currently unconfirmed because, despite my non-subtle hints (ie: “When are you making me corn fritters, Shellie?”) I haven’t been able to wrangle an invitation to trial them.

I had heard that Replete Providore in Hawthorn also do rather good corn fritters – apparently ones to rival my current faves at Mart 130. Alastair and I had a day off recently, and took the opportunity to try them out.

We started with a round of coffees, which were fine. I loved that they came with a mini shortbread biscuit. Yay. :)

Foodwise, we both ordered the corn fritters, thereby commiting a major food blogger sin of ordering the same dish. I was actually tempted to order something else because other items on the menu looked good, but I stuck to the reason we were there.

Replete’s corn fritters come with bacon, sour cream, avocado, and sweet chilli ($17) and on both our plates were three massive fritters. The fritters themselves were nicely fluffy, with a decent amount of corn kernels. The bacon was good, the avocado was good, the sour cream was good. But the let down for me was the sweet chilli sauce. I’m just not a fan of it. I found it too sweet and overpowering and it didn’t let the sweetness of the corn shine.

So in the battle for supremency, while Replete’s were good, due to my personal preference (death to sweet chilli!) they don’t edge out the top contender in my corn fritter lovin’ list.

Therefore, until Shellie invites me over (hint hint hint), Mart 130 rules supreme.

Now tell me corn fritter fiends – where’s your favourite place for them? Recommendations, please!

Replete Providore
302 Barkers Road
Hawthorn
Phone: (03) 9818 4448
Web: repleteprovidore.com

Replete Providore on Urbanspoon

Comments

11 Responses to “Replete Providore: corn fritters”

1. CheezyK
    October 26th, 2012 @ 10:08 am

I realise that this post is about corn fritters but I can’t get past that first photo … I want that pasta!

Hehee, you can buy it from Replete! :)

October 26th, 2012 @ 10:50 am

Those look and sounds like corn fritter nachos.
    Hannah recently posted..Vegan Pumpkin Mesquite Overnight Oats

Mhmmmmm nachos. Nachos would be good right now.

October 27th, 2012 @ 1:47 am

I actually only ordered corn fritters for the first time recently at a cafe. That was just okay for me. I think I like the crunchy sort with more corn than batter – love the Izakaya Den version.
    leaf (the indolent cook) recently posted..sydney food adventures! hong ha, bourke st bakery, kura kura, n2 extreme gelato and niji sushi bar

What what whaaaat? No way! :) You must eat more corn fritters and broaden your corn fritter experience.

October 27th, 2012 @ 9:44 am

Loooooool!!
    next year next year! Give me a chance to get settled in my kitchen and house first!
    Iron Chef Shellie recently posted..{Tales from the Belly of Iron Chef Shellie} Hub St Kilda • Clover Cottage

Sure sure… we’ve been hearing that for aaaages. WAAAH. ;)

5. Cohen
    October 29th, 2012 @ 9:34 am

Wow, that plate of corn fritter looks awesome. Do you by any chance have a recipe for that? I’d love to try it out.

October 31st, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

Defo Shellie’s house.. Although I haven’t tried them either.. BUT I HEARD THEY ARE THE BESTEST!! *HINT*
    msihua recently posted..Spooky Night: 2012 Halloween Special

Yeah I’ve heard that they’re AMAZING. But I think we need to test that claim…