Gypsy & Pig

Posted on | July 11, 2012 | 33 Comments

Tucked away in Little Lonsdale Street between Elizabeth and Queen Street is a sweet little Japanese restaurant. I visited this week thanks to a tip off from a reader (Hi Gavin!), dragging along Alastair, Hazzie and Ashley for a spot of dinner. Gypsy and Pig is a small restaurant – about 24 seats or so – and unfortunately when we arrived there weren’t four seats available together. Faced with this, I agreed to us being split into two groups – so Alastair and I had an impromptu date, as did Ashley and Hazzie. :)

As well as being small, the restaurant is modest and understated. There’s a lot of black – the staff are dressed in black, and the walls are painted a matt black, broken up by large timber framed windows. Half of the seating is arranged bar-style in a big square around the open kitchen.

With a name like Gypsy & Pig, it’s no surprise that they specialise in pork dishes – specifically kurobuta, the Japanese name for a breed of pig known as Black Berkshire. Kurobuta is highly prized for its sweet, rich flavour, tenderness and juiciness.

I ordered us a couple of stuffed chicken wing stuffed with dumplings ($4.50 each) to start. While not as swoon worthy as other ones I’ve had, they were pretty good – the deboned chicken wing was filled with a flavoursome pork dumpling mixture.

We also ordered two mains to share.

The first one was the slow cooked Kurobuta belly and egg in sweet soy ($18). The pork had been braised in a sweet soy sauce, and we received several slices of meltingly soft meat alongside a soft boiled egg and greens. Lipsmackingly good.

Our second main was the deep fried crumbed kurobuta loin ($20).

I requested this in a set ($7 extra) which comes with rice, miso, a small dish and pickled vegetables. The miso in particular was great – made with a nicely smokey dashi.

And the pork was fantastic – with a coating that was very light, delicate and crisp. It came with a mound of very thinly sliced cabbage. Dressing and sauce for the pork were both available on the table.

We were enjoying Gypsy & Pig so much we ordered dessert. The dessert menu has five individual items – green tea ice cream, black sesame ice cream, almond jelly, creme caramel and a NY style cheesecake, priced from $3.50 – $8.00. In addition, there is an assorted dessert plate, which at $18 is great value as you get one of each dessert.

Can I get a hell yeah for the dessert plate?

We started with the ice creams – first I tasted the green tea ice cream. Yep, pretty good. I passed it to Alastair and started in on the black sesame ice cream. Holy cow. The black sesame was so good – I seriously contemplated not sharing it and just scoffing the lot.

The almond jelly was slippery and sweet, the fairly subtle almondness relieved a bit by some of the scattered fruit – but be warned that if you don’t like that almond flavour, it won’t be for you.

The creme caramel was also rich and smooth, although we found that the cheesecake was too cold and quite dense. It was definitely overshadowed by the other items.

We had a super delicious dinner – and we’ll definitely be back to try more of the menu. There was no signage that I could see, so make sure you keep an eye out for the pig on the door.

Thanks again to Gavin for the recommendation – good pick!

Gypsy and Pig
391 Little Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC

Gypsy & Pig on Urbanspoon

Comments

33 Responses to “Gypsy & Pig”

1. Sarah @alottafinechina
    July 11th, 2012 @ 8:44 pm

PORKGASM ! I never thought a deep fry draining rack could look so appealing. Must pencil a visit in!

Yes, do! I really liked it.

2. Michelle
    July 11th, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

OMG! Wants pork! Oink oink!
    Michelle recently posted..Tan Thanh Loi

Go get it! :D

July 11th, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

Okay it means I now I have approval to do mine! WHOOPEEE! I LOVE THIS PLACE!
    msihua recently posted..Chinese Kitchens – Lau’s Family Kitchen @ St. Kilda, Sung’s Kitchen @ Melbourne CBD & Vinh Ky @ Richmond

You’re welcome. :p

4. Christia
    July 12th, 2012 @ 11:49 am

Lovely to meet you the other night at Gypsy & Pig :) Great photos! I agree with you re: cheesecake – we thought it was a bit crumbly and dry… everything else was good though.

Lovely to meet you too. :D We will definitely be back to try more from there.

5. Sarah
    July 12th, 2012 @ 12:28 pm

Yumm! I love tonkatsu on the little metal rack and shredded cabbage! One of my faves. :D
    Sarah recently posted..Blueberry Crumb Coffee Cake

Anyone who doesn’t love deep fried crumbed pork isn’t worth knowing. :D

July 12th, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

Oh, dessert plate. OH DESSERT PLATE. Black sesame ice cream, that’s what I need right now when I can’t feel my face.
    Hannah recently posted..Icicle Frosts, Chestnuts, and When Daikon Attacks

Everyone needs more black sesame in their lives. I know I do!

7. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake
    July 12th, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

$18 for that dessert platter sounds like super value! I’m so drooling right now because I’ve been trying to find a good Japanese fried pork dish in Melbourne ever since I came back from Japan…most places just don’t do it right! This place looks like it might make it properly. :D Super excited now. :D
    Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake recently posted..Zaru Soba – Japanese cold buckwheat noodles

I see you made it to G&P – that was quick. :D

8. Sarah @alottafinechina
    July 12th, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

Do they have any noodles on the menu?
    Sarah @alottafinechina recently posted..Ora Cafe

There’s two fried noodle dishes. So sort of :)

9. Gavin
    July 12th, 2012 @ 8:30 pm

It was awesome to have finally met ya! Totally agree, the pork was so good I had porkasm :)

Thanks again for the recommendation :D

10. shamsher
    July 12th, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

I love tonkatsu on the little metal rack and shredded cabbage

11. April
    July 13th, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

Hell yeah for the dessert! :)

Urgh for black on black restaurant interiors, but you did well with the photos! I want to go for the black sesame ice cream! I’ve had disappointing black sesame ice cream recently.
    April recently posted..Photo Sundays: Lunch at Bottega, Melbourne

What? Say it isn’t so – disappointing black sesame ice cream?? You should try out G&P, although going on your opinions from our past recommendations, you’ll probably hate it. ;)

12. Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg
    July 13th, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

That is a very cute dessert plate:) What a pitty the cheese cake was not up to standards. Looks nice anyway.
    Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg recently posted..Rigoni’s Bistro, Adelaide

I still ate the cheesecake… haha.

July 14th, 2012 @ 1:01 am

The little decorative items are so cute! And the food looks pretty darn delicious. You’ve got me curious about how good the sesame ice cream is.
    leaf (the indolent cook) recently posted..lamb’s lettuce (aka corn salad, mache, rapunzel, etc.)… and a simple stir-fry

That ice cream reminded me how much I love black sesame. I need more in my life.

14. Annette
    July 15th, 2012 @ 1:49 am

Wow!! That really does sound good –have to remember this one for our next visit..

Yes, we have lots of places to take you next time you visit. :)

15. Adrian (Food Rehab)
    July 15th, 2012 @ 11:10 pm

um, Hell yeah!
    Adrian (Food Rehab) recently posted..I’ll Brekkiefy You. Cafe Hopping Mischief Once Again!

Get there!

16. Sam
    July 21st, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

Candy and I are heading here tonight, can’t wait!

Whoohoo – hope you enjoyed it.

August 6th, 2012 @ 10:47 pm