The week in brief: 5 March – 11 March

Posted on | March 12, 2012 | 22 Comments

This week: Not just faileo, but a total diet wipeout. I ATE SO MUCH. WAAAAH. Witness!

The week started with a date with Hazzie – a bit of shoe shopping before going to Journal Canteen for the Trupp cookbook launch. There was food made with recipes from the book, like these amazing quinoa fritters. They were so delicious, and I don’t even like quinoa normally.

There was also tasty salmon gravlax, roasted barley balls in a gherkin and dill sauce, barley salad and breakfast porridge. Apart from the salmon, everything was vegetarian (and yes, all grains… the faileo begins…)

We finished with a slice of chocolate cheesecake. So good but so rich.

Wednesday saw afternoon tea at The Langham for the launch of a limited series of Burch and Purchese afternoon teas that will be starting in April (disclosure: I was invited).

So. Much. Sugar.

Thank goodness Shellie was there too, because it meant I had someone to share the cakes and sweets with.

And yes, we saw it as our duty to try one of everything… and yes, we were almost in sugar comas by the end of it. Stay tuned for a more in-depth post.

Oh hello burger. Had lunch with my workmate CC during the week at La Chicas. Normally we are very good at ordering salads but I saw the burger on the menu and had to have it.

It was totally worth it.

I took the day off on Friday (hooray for extended long weekends) and how did I spend it? At the dentist. I really know how to have fun, hey? Party, party!

After spending a stupid amount of money at the dentist (seriously, why is it so expensive?!?!) I met up with Hazzie for lunch. She had ramen, I had a bento box.

And a couple of hours after that, I ate froyo with mochi. My frozen yoghurt was lychee, blueberry and green tea. I was surprised at how nice the lychee one was. Mhmmmm.

On Saturday, Alastair and I went to The Commoner for lunch to check out their menu (disclosure: I was invited).

We started with surprise padron peppers, and Alastair and I found a spicy one each! Good way to get the heart going and the taste buds tingling. :D

I totally loved these parmesan and truffle croquettes.

We also had a little rabbit pie with wood oven cooked carrots.

And a superbly smokey wood roasted baby chook with foraged mushrooms. I will blog our meal in more detail soon – this is only a small snippet of what we ate.

Okay! Almost done! Yesterday I spent the morning roasting pumpkin and making empanadas.

The empanada dough was from this recipe and I filled half with pumpkin and blue cheese, and the other half with a kangaroo and pork mince mixture. They were for a street food party that Cherrie hosted that night.

The empanadas came out okay… they took a ridiculously long time to roll out and put together. Bah.

At the street food party there was a lot of food, as there always is whenever we gather… we had sushi from April, chicken wings from Thanh, satay from Hazzie, and Filipino BBQ pork from Adrian.

Shellie made us little bahn mis.

Cherrie put together pulled pork tacos.

And her husband made us cocktails. Wheeee.

Okay, that was my week. How was yours? (Sorry about the super long post – I’ll try and eat less this week!)

Oh and don’t forget to enter the competition to win a signed copy of Bill Granger’s latest cookbook. :)

Comments

22 Responses to “The week in brief: 5 March – 11 March”

March 12th, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

Faileo maybe, but deliciosio definitely! Can’t wait for the Burch and Purchese post, but I must admit that after finishing that 850g tub of Poppycock in four days (ugh. What’s wrong with me?!), I myself am a bit sick of sugar. SO yay pumpkin! Mmmm pumpkin.
    Hannah recently posted..Here Be Horns and Echidnas and Heath and Sweets…

OMG you’re sick of sugar?! Also, were you foolish enough to purchase more Poppycock? You FOOL!

Hannah Reply:

Actually, you know what? I’m going to admit something to you. I actually pulled a SATC Miranda move and threw out the last, maybe 5th of the tub, because I kept making myself sick and needed it gone. UGH.
    Hannah recently posted..Here Be Horns and Echidnas and Heath and Sweets…

Really? Ugh. Actually, I’m proud of you – the first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is throwing it away. ;)

Hannah Reply:

:) I’m secretly proud of me too. Usually I “get rid of junk” by eating it in one sitting and then lying flat on the floor until it doesn’t hurt to move.

(Dear lord that’s what dogs do.)
    Hannah recently posted..Here Be Horns and Echidnas and Heath and Sweets…

March 12th, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

back on the diet bandwagon tomorrow :)
    Iron Chef Shellie recently posted..Sesame Orange Prawns with Egg Noodles

YES. I need to stop, this is going to kill me. ;)

March 12th, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

WOW you’ve had some amazing food this week~ Don’t worry I’ve been eating cake for lunch 3 days in a row now hahaha I should be dieting too :P

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG did you just say a Burch and Purchese Afternoon TEA! I am SUPER excited! I’ve gotta go check it out!

Thanks for letting me know!
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..Graduation Ceremony and Thank You’s

Ooh I saw you tweeted that you’ve booked for the B&P afternoon tea. I hope you enjoy it! :)

Daisy@Nevertoosweet Reply:

I’m so so so excited! I booked as soon as I read your post lol
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..Graduation Ceremony and Thank You’s

4. EatPlayShop
    March 12th, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

So nice to have met you and your Hubby tonight! Yet another sugar and calorie filled event to add to your week :) Back to the gym for me this week!
    EatPlayShop recently posted..Eat. @ Huxtaburger

So nice to meet you! :)

And I KNOW. But after this I’m stopping. Really. (Okay, maybe after MFWF…)

5. April
    March 13th, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

At least you are breaking the diet with good food and you have been exercising, so that’s something! March should be no diet month since there are so many MFWF events on!
    April recently posted..Dining Out: Matteo’s MFWF Restaurant Express Lunch

Thank god I’ve been exercising! I didn’t eat much less this week either… :p

6. Adrian (Food Rehab)
    March 13th, 2012 @ 3:20 pm

Gosh. Food Bloggers Diet.
    Adrian (Food Rehab) recently posted..To Live and DINE in LA: Driving Bumblebee, ABS-CBN Interview, Cee Lo, Big Burgers + Fried Chicken

Yep, you know all about that diet, don’t you Adrian? ;)

7. Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg
    March 18th, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

Lychee frozen yoghurt. YUM! I need to try this:)

I was really surprised that it was good. :)

March 19th, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

Shites… we do eat a lot don’t we??
    msihua recently posted..Spotlight: Banana Leaf Rice

April 7th, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

Dentist cost so much coz they need to put up with our bad breathes and our hatred of them because they inevitably inflict pain on us.

You had a food wipeout worthy of me. Drop down and give me 100 pushups.
    Thanh recently posted..Singapore Takeout In Sydney

But my dentist is so nice. I don’t hate her!

I’ve been hanging around you too much – so much food and sugar. :(