Beet meatballs

Posted on | November 18, 2011 | 15 Comments

Beet meatballs

Do you like beetroot? I love it any way – fresh, cooked, canned (yes, I know), in burgers, in cakes, in soup, in salads. And after being inspired to create this recipe by Nigel Slater, I now also love it in meatballs.

Sure, beetroot can be a pain in the arse because it stains almost everything, but they’re also rich in vitamins, carbs and proteins. They do have a very high sugar content – about 10% of a beetroot is sugar – but fortunately it’s released slowly into the body.

Beet meatballs

Now apparently the Romans used beetroot as an aphrodisiac and The Lupanare, (the offical brothel of Pompeii), has pictures of beetroots on its walls (alongside other interesting pictures… hehee). And since we’re on the topic of brothels, a euphemism that was used in the 20th century for visiting prosties is to “take favours in beetroot fields”.

Wow, this post went straight down to the gutter. That was a surprise! I’m now a bit scared of the search terms that will lead people to my site…

Beet meatballs

But back to beets, meats and balls (whoops – there’s the gutter again). I made these meatballs after flicking through a Nigel Slater book. I didn’t follow his recipe, but just used it as an inspiration. The meatballs are made from a mixture of shredded beetroot, pork and beef mince, fresh coriander, salt and pepper – and that was it! And they were GREAT – very, very moreish, and I loved that the sweetness of the beetroot complemented the meatiness. And at times I thought they tasted a lot like char sui with the whole sweet/pork thing.

Next time I make them, I’m going to add some chilli. I think they’ll be even better a bit spicy, though I do tend to think that about most foods.

What’s your favourite way to eat beetroot? And err – what do you reckon about the whole aphrodisiac thing? :D

Beet meatballs

Rating: 41

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes

Yield: Makes about 30 small meatballs

Beet meatballs

Ingredients

• 400g raw beetroot, peeled and shredded/grated
  • 350g beef mince
  • 250g pork mince
  • Small bunch (40g) fresh coriander, washed and finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons salt (You need at least this amount because of the beetroot’s sweetness)
  • Plenty of pepper
  • Chilli to taste (if desired)

Instructions

1. In a big bowl, mix together the shredded beetroot, beef mince, pork mince, coriander, salt, pepper and chilli (if using).
  2. With wet hands, take a tablespoon of the mince mixture and roll into balls / flat discs. Continue until all the mince is rolled up. Let them sit for about an hour so they’ll bind and not fall apart when you cook them.
  3. Heat a frying pan on medium-high heat and add a splash of oil. When the pan is hot, cook the meatballs for several minutes on each side, or until fully cooked.
  4. Eat and enjoy!

Notes

Inspired by Nigel Slater’s Tender V1

Comments

15 Responses to “Beet meatballs”

1. Celeste @ Berrytravels
    November 18th, 2011 @ 5:57 pm

Ahhh this sounds yum!!
    Celeste @ Berrytravels recently posted..Restaurant review: Eros Kafe, Adelaide CBD

They’re fantastic! I’m definitely going to make them again :D

November 18th, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

Looks fabulous! This reminds me that I once made up a beetroot quinoa risotto recipe for something that fell through, and never ended up posting it for some reason. There was definitely chilli involved :P I adore beetroot, but gosh, do you really have to worry about the sugar content of vegetables? :(
    Hannah recently posted..Vosges Bapchi’s Caramel Toffee Bar

Hah, no of course not. I just thought it was interesting. :)

November 19th, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

OH MY! Great BALLS of Fire!!!! (Gutter for me!).. I’m going to so do this next week with lamb mince… YUM!
    msihua recently posted..Spotlight: Angkor Wat, Cambodia – An Ancient Temple

Oh we could make so many balls jokes… :D

4. Miss Adriennely
    November 20th, 2011 @ 12:54 am

They look absolutely delicious!
    Miss Adriennely recently posted..Saturday breakkie at Dukes Coffee and Market Lane Coffee

They tasted really good too :D I was very pleased with them!

5. Amanda
    November 22nd, 2011 @ 11:39 am

Mmm this recipe looks so delicious! I love the addition of the beats! Please check out my recipe for pan seared steak with mushroom pan sauce… I think you’ll really enjoy it!

Thanks!
    Amanda recently posted..Mushrooms

Thanks :)

6. Annette
    November 24th, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Aah –this looks really good, and you get wonderful beetroot at the Nelson market –so we will definitely make this one.

Enjoy! :D

November 24th, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

Well it looks like I need to do an oyster and beetroot night and invite all the lay-deeeeezzzz.
    Thanh recently posted..Cupcake Central Workshop – Masterclass

Hahahahaha oh goodness… please don’t invite me.

8. Gerry @Foodness Gracious
    November 29th, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

I love beets and this recipe sounds truly a winner, could you use golden beets also?
    Gerry @Foodness Gracious recently posted..Turkey Dinner Leftover Shots…