Mart 130

Posted on | July 21, 2011 | 26 Comments

A couple of months ago, I was terribly addicted to Words with Friends (I don’t have much time for it now, as the games that are waiting for my turn will attest). My nemesis was Thanh, and we played many ferocious battles. I was on a winning spree, when I foolishly agreed to upping the stakes and play for a meal. The thing is – I’m not a competitive person. Unlike people who do better when there’s the prospect of winning or losing, I’m the total opposite. Sad, huh?!

Foolish non-competitive me ended up losing three games out of five, which meant I owed Thanh a meal. Curses!

We decided to go to Mart 130 for brunch, a cafe in Middle Park. It’s been around for a while now, so you probably know the story – it’s located at the Middle Park tram stop, and is housed in a converted railway station. In keeping with the public transport theme, Mart is tram backwards, and 130 refers to the light rail stop that’s directly out the front of the cafe (this point is particularly important if you’re ever trying to find it… aye, Thanh?)

The cafe building is quite small, so I took a seat at the back on the deck and waited for Thanh. Who – yes – was lost and had to call me for directions.

“It’s at the tram stop. No, the tram stop. THE TRAM STOP, FIND THE TRAM STOP.” And so on.

Eventually he arrived and we looked over the breakfast menu. The menu has the usual cafe breakfast items – such as porridge, muesli, fresh toast and several variations on eggs. Thanh ordered free range poached eggs with creme fraiche, fresh spinach, smoked salmon, dill, lemon and Yarra Valley salmon roe ($17.90).

I choose oven roasted corn fritters, served with bacon, tomato relish, sour cream and coriander ($17.90)

When Thanh saw my corn fritters, he “asked” if we could share our meals. Barely waiting for me to reply, he dumped half of his meal on my plate and I grudgingly gave him half of my corn fritters. Sheesh. Not only did I have to pay for his brunch, but I had to share mine with him! Gosh I am a good friend. I don’t blame him for having food envy though – they were seriously good corn fritters, packed with lots of plump and sweet corn kernels and the bacon and relish giving extra salt and sweetness.

Thanh’s poached eggs were fine, but didn’t come close to the deliciousness of my meal. So I might not be able to beat him in Words with Friends when it matters, but at least I can choose the better brunch!

Mart 130 is one of those quirky Melbourne cafes that’s just about an institution. Hopefully they never take their corn fritters off the menu, because they’re worth crossing town for.

For more on Mart 130, check out the following blogs – many of whom are also fans of the corn fritters.

• Iron Eaters
  • The coffee guide
  • The breakfast blog
  • Travel ‘n’ stuff
  • Happiness is a warm gut
  • Peet can cook
  • Ky eats
  • It pleases us
  • Totally Addicted to Taste
  • Eat and be merry for tomorrow we die(t)
  • Wallaby-michy
  • Melbourne’s Indulgence
  • My delicious blog
  • Julesgourmond
  • Mai Lin talks
  • Tummycrumble
  • Passionate about life

• [googleMap name="Mart 130" width="600" height="300" directions_to="false"]107 Canterbury Road, Middle Park VIC Australi[/googleMap]

MART 130
    107 Canterbury Road
    Middle Park
    Phone: (03)9690 8831
    PS: cash only

Mart 130 on Urbanspoon

Comments

26 Responses to “Mart 130”

1. leaf @ theindolentcook
      July 21st, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

I would hate to lose too, but at least brunch was nice. Love the look of this place… I thought it was in the countryside at first!

Haha I don’t mind losing that much. :) I think that’s why I’m so noncompetitive – I don’t have the killer urge to win!

2. fatbooo
      July 21st, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

I think I’ve accidentally walked past the café while looking for plants at a nearby nursery. Didn’t know it’s such a popular brunch spot with bloggers.

It’s *very* popular, isn’t it?! I need to visit places that haven’t been blogged so much! :)

July 21st, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

You know how shocking bad my directional skills are :-) I didn’t know I had to cross the tracks. Google Maps misled me.

As for the meals, I graciously shared mine with you hahahaha.

Finally, if you’re gonna lose at something, at least it ends with a tasty meal.

If there was ever a word to describe you, I don’t think it’s gracious ;)

July 22nd, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

Teehee, I’m exactly the same! I’m really good at talking a good game and speaking all competitive-like, but as soon as it comes to actually putting the fighting spirit into action, I’m more along the lines of “um, no, that’s okay, you go ahead. I’ll just, um, be over here, go you!”.

However, I must state that it’s Thanh’s dish I have envy of, not yours. So there.

That’s cos you’re weird. Corn fritters > poached eggs ANY DAY.

Hannah Reply:

Agnes! That was a golden opportunity for you to support my choosing protein over vegetables!

I don’t think corn is counted as a real vegetable :p

Hannah Reply:

You’re right. It’s pretty much dessert.

July 22nd, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

AHAHAHAHAHHAHA… I could so see that happening as I kept reading through your narrative.. Thanh… you’re such a hopeless fella :) We love you still! Hahahaha…

Wait, we love him *still*? I didn’t know we loved him at all! ;)

July 22nd, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

ahhhh i remember this story :)

those corn cakes look damn fine! I think I’m going to have to try make them at home myself for breakfast one weekend soon!

And you did make it! Good on you :D

7. Kristen Bellisario
      July 23rd, 2011 @ 4:54 am

I can’t help but laugh while reading this post. You’re not alone there, my friend. I am also a non-competitive person, so when games involve high-stakes, I end up losing. I guess we’re just one of the few “good” ones, lol.

That place is marvelous and I am happy that you’ve tried it out with your friend. I guess your friend was right when he mentioned about losing and ending up with good food, right? But let’s change the rules a bit – This time, the winner is paying! Why don’t you try that some time? It’s truly challenging when you play to lose. It also ends with good laughs! :)

I don’t think it’s in his personality to play to lose but it’s definitely an interesting idea! :D

8. Allan
      July 23rd, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

i love the “he dumped half of his meal on my plate” part! hahaha.

and i sense a bit of competition there: “but at least I can choose the better brunch” =P.

mmmmmmm, i have breakfast envy, despite eating way too much today ahaha

That’s right – I win where it’s truly important. ;)

9. Fiona
      July 24th, 2011 @ 9:01 pm

Oh and the coffee looks ready for me to drink!

It is! Come and get it! :D

10. Keely aka The Richest Girl in Bondi
      July 25th, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

Is it really losing when you get to go out to a brunch like that? I think Thanh was very kind – those poached eggs with salmon look pretty good – would you’ve really wanted to miss out?

But but but… corn fritters! I maintain that corn fritters win over eggs any day of the week :)

11. {Breakfast of Champions} Corn Fritters with Bacon, Tomato Chutney & Sour Cream
      July 27th, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

[...] like a cute place to dine at, and the dishes people were eating looked fantastic. After reading Agnes’ post and seeing the corn fritters for the 50th time, and after much talk that it had won breakfast of [...]

12. Sapphira
      August 1st, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

I had those corn fritters four years ago and they’re still the stuff sweet dreams are made of. :)

They definitely are! :D I can attest to the fact that they’re still good.