Sticky date pudding

Posted on | May 17, 2011 | 10 Comments

Meal to Share: Pub Food

Our fine trio are late for this month’s Meal to Share, because one of us (ahem Penny) has been eating it up in America and Canada. Naturally, Celeste and I don’t mind that Penny was having way too much fun overseas to cook her part of the meal, though I’m not sure we have forgiven her for not taking us on her trip! ;)

But better late then never! Meal to Share is our monthly collaboration where the three of us each cook a course for a themed meal. The theme this month is pub food, and I’ve made dessert.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————-

The menu

Entree: Shallow fried calamari rings in garlic breadcrumbs made by Celeste.

Main: Stout braised ox cheeks with cheese dumplings made by Penny.

Dessert: Sticky date pudding, made by me!

——————————————————————————————————————————————————-

As you can see, I’ve made sticky date pudding. It was the first dessert I thought of when it came to pub food – it’s such a classic. And I can see why it’s such a popular dessert: it’s easy to prepare ahead of time and can be easily warmed up for serving. And it’s really easy to make.

This recipe makes for a soft, moist cake that is sweet and decadent. I find all recipes for this dessert to be much of a muchness, but if you don’t have a favourite one already, try this one. My only request is that you MUST eat it warm. I gave a piece to my colleague and was HORRIFIED that he was going to eat it cold. I made him walk to the microwave to give it a quick blast! Warming the cake makes it all soft and comforting, and the sauce all melty.

By the way, it was really hard to take photos pouring the sauce by myself! I would normally enlist Bro or Alastair to help out, but they were both out at the time – thank goodness for my camera remote.

Don’t forget to check out Celeste and Penny’s post for the rest of the meal and we’ll be back at the end of this month with another theme.

Sticky date pudding

Adapted from Food We Love

Serves 9

1 3/4 cups (250g) seeded dried dates, coarsely chopped
1 & 1/4 cups (310ml) hot water
1 teaspoon baking soda
60g butter, chopped
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
2 eggs
1 & 1/4 cups (150g) self-raising flour, sifted

Butterscotch sauce
3/4 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup (250ml) cream
200g butter

Grease a 20cm round cake pan and line the base with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C.

In a medium saucepan, add the dates and water. Bring to a boil, then remove the heat and add the baking soda. Let it stand for 5 minutes.

In a small bowl or mixter, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, beating well between each addition. Stir in the sifted flour and then the date mixture.

Pour the mixture into a pan and bake for about 55 minutes. Let it stand for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack.

Meanwhile, make the butterscotch sauce by combining the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir over heat without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Let it simmer for about 3 minutes.

Serve the date pudding in slices, warmed, with a dollop of warm butterscotch sauce.

Comments

10 Responses to “Sticky date pudding”

May 17th, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

no forgiveness? I wish I could pack you all into my luggage and take you girls along.
    It has been awhile since I’ve had a slice of good sticky date pudding. Winter is such a good time for it.
    penny aka jeroxie recently posted..Meal to Share Pub – Stout braised ox cheeks with cheese and mushroom dumplings

May 17th, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

I was about to get on the high horse alongside you about the horror oh eating sticky date pudding cold, but then I realised you might be equally displeased with me about the fact that, when I’ve made this at home (in muffin form! Because that’s cute!), I’ve had it without the sauce. Cream = no good for poor Hannah.
    Hannah recently posted..What I Learned From Eurovision… and Carrot Salad

3. leaf @ theindolentcook
    May 17th, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

I adore sticky date pudding. So good served warm with ice cream on the side!
    leaf @ theindolentcook recently posted..pan-grilled lime and pepper infused salmon and asparagus- topped with yoghurt- pomegranate and mint

4. yasmeen (wandering spice)
    May 17th, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

Yummy! I saw this on penny’s blog and the whole meal looks to die for. I fell in love with sticky date pudding on one of my first days here but have never made it. Now I have a delish recipe, so thank you!
    yasmeen (wandering spice) recently posted..singapore noodles

5. Adrian in Food Rehab
    May 18th, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

An absolute winter warmer right here! I’m scared as to how much double cream I’d end up lathering this up with….
    Adrian in Food Rehab recently posted..Cafe Hopping Around Melbourne- This is…Breakfast Indigestion 3!

6. anhsfoodblog
    May 18th, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

Everything looks so yummy!

May 18th, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

Yum.. you truly have no aliens sabotaging your oven :P
    msihua recently posted..Izakaya Den @ Russell Street- Melbourne – Revisited

8. Susan
    May 20th, 2011 @ 11:23 am

Can you believe I have never tried making sticky date pudding before even though it’s one of my favourite desserts. I always thought that something that tasted that good would be tricky to make!
    Susan recently posted..Triple Chocolate Brownies

9. Annette
    May 23rd, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

mmmmmm –I LOVE sticky date pudding and this one looks very good. Fancy Ali and Bro being out when there’s fresh STP being made. I call that a mistake!

10. Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls
    May 25th, 2011 @ 5:55 am

That date pudding… OMG!

New to your blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo