The Premises 2

Posted on | March 3, 2011 | 20 Comments

Alastair and I are quite different, but we have a really good relationship. Part of that is because despite our differences, we have the important things in common. We hold similar political views, are non-religious, and most importantly – neither of us are morning people!

Even though we’re not morning people, we’ve recently started getting up earlier in the weekend. And you know what? There are so many more hours in the day! The day never seems to end! It’s amazing!

Recently on one of our “get up early” Saturdays, we returned to The Premises for coffee and lunch. Because we had been up for several hours already, we had eaten toast for breakfast at home several hours before.

I don’t normally eat sweet things for breakfast (or lunch) but since I had already eaten something savoury that day, I felt like French toast. So I ordered the “strawberries and cream” French toast – French toast with fresh strawberries, vanilla marscapone and a star anise syrup ($14.50). Ohmygod, this was soooo nice. How can something so delicious and full of sugar and fat taste so light? The marscapone was all melty over the toast, and the strawberries and syrup were sweet and fragrant without being cloying. It smelt wonderful too.

Alastair decided to eat something different from what he would normally order and had the smoked kippers on toast with a white bean puree, preserved lemon, dill butter and a soft poached egg ($16.00). I tasted a bit and found it very salty – it was nice but I would have found the saltiness tiring after a while. Alastair said it was good to try, but he didn’t think he would order it again.

Also, the fishy smell from his kippers kept wafting over and disturbing the lovely scent of my French toast. Very annoying – hah.

I’m not sure if I’m remembering things correctly, but I’m fairly certain the menu had expanded a bit since our first visit. Which is great if it has – perhaps I’ll be a more regular customer than I initially thought! There is definitely a lot to like about this cafe.

Read about our first visit to The Premises here.

Since my first post, these blogs have also visited The Premises:

• Curly Pops
  • Food for Think
  • Hookturns
  • Brunch Addict
  • Eat Drink Stagger

• [googleMap name="The Premises" width="600" height="300" directions_to="false"]202 Bellair Street, Kensington, VIC, Australia[/googleMap]

The Premises
    202 Bellair Street,
    Kensington

The Premises on Urbanspoon

Comments

20 Responses to “The Premises 2”

1. leaf @ theindolentcook
      March 4th, 2011 @ 12:00 am

I’m not a morning person either, but there is definitely something nice about getting up early every now and then. That French toast sounds great!
      leaf @ theindolentcook recently posted..maggie beers farm shop- barossa valley

It really is amazing how much longer the weekend seems when we get up early. But I do still like sleeping in too…!

2. Conor @ Hold the Beef
      March 4th, 2011 @ 1:08 am

Welcome to morning land! It allows you to eat an entire extra meal each day.. second breakfast :D

Despite the salty factor, those kippers are whispering sweet sweet things to me. Oh little kippers, I’d like to nibble your little bellies!
      Conor @ Hold the Beef recently posted..Salty Disher

OH second breakfast. Conor, you are a genius – as always!

March 4th, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

True story: this post popped into my google reader just before I went to bed last night, so all I read was “Alastair and I are quite different, but we…” before I shut my computer down.

I then had a dream about you and Alastair being different because you like nutella and he like vegemite, and so you decided to spread both on the same piece of toast and then there was something about penguins.

Wait. I think I’m actually kind of psychic. Salty, sweet, toast, and something from the sea – I completely foresaw your blog.
      Hannah recently posted..Bovetti Dark Chocolate with Jasmine Flowers

Psychic? Or just crazy? ;)

March 4th, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

the menu has defintely expanded slightly… our regular saturday coffee place. might catch you there if you are early enough :)
      penny aka jeroxie recently posted..An Oeuf Roe Degustation Dinner at Provenance Food and Wine- Collingwood

Haha, and what time do you normally get there? 7am? ;)

5. Lizzie (El Moorish)
      March 5th, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

I don’t usually choose sweet dishes for breakfast either but I’d make an exception for that French toast – mmmmmmmascarpone and star anise – a resounding ‘om nom nom’!
      Lizzie (El Moorish) recently posted..Mascarpone Basil Panna Cotta with Florentines Daring Bakers’ Challenge

I wish I had enough appetite to eat a full savoury breakfast and then order French toast for dessert. Best of both worlds!

March 5th, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

Ooo… Didn’t think that Kensington had such a cute joint there… how did that dill butter taste like?
      msihua recently posted..Gelato Messina @ Darlinghurst- Sydney

Buttery with a hint of dill. ;) I’m not sure – I pretty much left Alastair to his dish while I oohed and ahhed over mine!

7. Annette
      March 6th, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

Well as you know –we no longer have any moral ground to stand on re getting up early –but you certainly put this early morning to good use!!! The French toast looks amazing –but the kippers –ugh! See you soon…..

See you very soon! And we won’t order kippers for your breakfast – if you get up early enough for breakfast, that is! ;)

8. Adrian @ Food Rehab
      March 9th, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

Yay, another cafe to devour in my hood! It’s tricky finding a decent french toast around, so glad this one’s a winner.
      Adrian @ Food Rehab recently posted..Greenhouse- Sydney- A Recyclable Pop-up Bar &amp Restaurant by Joost Bakker

Yep, go the West side! ;)

9. anh
      March 11th, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I think you and A are perfect together ;)

I normally eat savoury for breakfast as well. But when I am out in the morning, I would choose sweet option. Weird? :)

Awww :)

I understand that – sweet breakfasts seem a bit more special. So it’s natural when you’re eating out!

10. Frankie
      August 17th, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

I love how Kensington is evolving! Have you tried Luncheonette, across the train line? How they can make so many tasty things in such a tiny kitchen is beyond me! The whole place is tiny though, so if possible it’s better to go on a weekday. There is also a new Italian place in Epsom Road, where Blush used to be, called La Cannella. The food is great, and all produce is Victorian, which I love.
      Yay for more great places in the west!

Hi Frankie – I haven’t tried Luncheonette because it’s always so busy! Will check it out when I have a day off sometime.

And I’m going to La Cannella this weekend! :)