International Incident Sundae Party

Posted on | February 20, 2011 | 23 Comments

Melbourne has been humid, humid, humid lately. This has been a weird summer – LOTS of rain and very little of the dry heat that stretches for days, that is more usual of our summers. Thank you La Nina, you can stop now.

International Incident Sundae Party

Well, at least ice cream is good for any type of heat – dry or humid. So it’s fortunate that the theme for this month’s incident party is “sundae”, to which I’m bringing sesame ice cream, topped with red bean sauce.

I grew up eating black sesame and white sesame in desserts – namely black sesame soup or sesame seed balls. I really wanted to showcase both types, so I made ice cream from both! With the white sesame, I toasted the seeds in a dry frying pan, and then ground them to a paste using a mortar and pestle. If you’re ever grinding sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle, I recommend doing it a small amount at a time. Once I was making sauce for shabu shabu and poured a large amount of sesame into the mortar and pestle – it took me half an hour before I had sesame paste! Extremely painful experience, and it would’ve been much quicker if I had done a small amount at a time.

With the black sesame, I used black sesame powder that I purchased at an Asian grocery store. For both ice creams, I used an ice cream recipe that I’ve made before, that has an Italian egg mousse base that’s folded into whipped cream.

The ice creams turned out well – before freezing, I preferred the white sesame version. It was sweeter and nuttier. However, after freezing I found that I liked the black sesame one more! It was more assertively nutty and fragrant, and the white sesame one turned out creamier and less flavoursome. The black sesame was a touch grainy (since I did add rather a lot of sesame powder!) but after freezing it wasn’t a big issue. But I do think I can improve on it – next time!

And finally, when I was thinking about this sundae, I wondered how I could make it even MORE ASIAN. :D Red bean sauce immediately came to mind! So when I was ready to put it together, I spooned over red bean sauce that I had made from purchased red bean paste thinned out with boiling water (with a touch of red food colouring to keep the red colour). It was the perfect topping for my sundae!

Thanks, as always, to Penny for hosting this IIP and see the other delicious creations at the IIP forum.

Black/white sesame ice cream

Adapted from: Darina Allen’s Ballymaloe Cookery Course

1/4 cup white sesame seeds
3/4 cup black sesame powder (to taste)
4 egg yolks
100g sugar
250ml water
600ml thickened cream, softly whipped

Toast the white sesame seeds in a dry frying pan until fragrant. Grind to a paste in a mortar and pestle – do this a small amount at a time otherwise it will take forever! Set aside.

Place the egg yolks in a bowl/mixer and whisk over high speed until they are pale and fluffy.

In a saucepan, combine the water and sugar and stir over a medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove the spoon and increase the heat until it boils. Let the syrup boil until it reaches the “thread” stage – 106-113°C – it will be quite thick, and when a metal spoon is dipped into it, the drops of syrup will form firm threads.

While whisking the egg yolks, pour the hot syrup on to them.

Spoon out half of the egg yolk mixture and set aside.

To one half of the egg yolk mixture add the white sesame paste and fold together. To the other half, add the black sesame powder. Fold in half of the softly whipped cream to each mixture and pour into separate stainless steel or plastic bowls, cover and freeze.

When serving, remove from the freezer at least 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with red bean sauce, made with red bean paste and thinned with a bit of boiling water.

Comments

23 Responses to “International Incident Sundae Party”

1. Kat @CooksJournal
    February 20th, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Photos are just gorgeous and sesame ice cream .. I usually buy it but this recipe certainly looks manageable. Will have to try it out.
    Kat @CooksJournal recently posted..Sundae Brunch

2. fatbooo
    February 20th, 2011 @ 11:56 am

OMGosh I drooled over the pictures. Looove black sesame ice cream!! Loved the bit where you said you wanted to make the dessert MORE ASIAN. Haha!

I really admire how great you all are at cooking and creating such innovative fantastic dishes.
    fatbooo recently posted..Jo Cooks Vegan Chinese

3. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen
    February 20th, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Yumm….I love sesame flavor but I’ve never had it in ice cream before. Your Asianized sundaes are to die for, they look simply amazing!
    Maya@Foodiva’s Kitchen recently posted..International Incident Party- Healthy Breakfast Sundae

4. ck
    February 20th, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

Absolutely gorgeous post, beautiful photos and styling and I for one would kill to try your sundae. I am not of Asian heritage, but I swear I have an Asian palate! Hehe. Red bean paste,red beans, anything with glutinous rice flour, sesame and black sesame, green tea etc, I am addicted to. I am also a Breadtop addict and couldn’t help but buy a green tea red bean bun and some bean paste sesame balls this morning. That was on top of red bean buns and other things from the beautiful Chinese lady at the Farmer’s Markets yesterday. That’s it, I need help!! I want to jump through the screen and eat one of these so bad! Well done.
    ck recently posted..International Incident Party – Sundae!

February 20th, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

Oh, BFF! You’ve stolen my heart. Black sesame desserts are one of my favourite things, and I became enamoured with red bean when I was in Japan years ago. I’ve almost never had the latter since, although I regularly nag mum and dad to take me to a particular Japanese restaurant here so that I can have its black sesame ice cream for dessert :)
    Hannah recently posted..This Little Light o’ Mine

6. anh
    February 20th, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

omg this is so yummy!!! I love sesame flavours, and perhaps using white sesame will give a more mellow nutty flavours? :)

February 20th, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

I love sesame ice cream! Such a delicious-looking sundae.
    leaf (the indolent cook) recently posted..healthy banana matcha mint smoothie

8. foodie and the chef
    February 20th, 2011 @ 10:14 pm

How gorgeous – I only recently tried black sesame ice cream here in Sydney… I just love the idea of the red bean sauce to go with. Cute pics.
    foodie and the chef recently posted..got balls vegan sundae- raspberry- melon- coconut- tapioca

February 20th, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

Oh my.. how Asian! I LIKE!!!
    msihua recently posted..International Incident Sundae Party – Lychee Sundae Ice Cream

10. Celeste @ Berrytravels
    February 20th, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

This is making me miss home sooooo much. And by that I mean melbourne!!!
    Celeste @ Berrytravels recently posted..Travelling in Gumboots – The country and being part of it

11. Conor @ HoldtheBeef
    February 21st, 2011 @ 1:30 am

Red bean sauce is totally MORE ASIAN. It’s Asian to the MAXX.

Super lovely photos as always, I love the little dribble of sauce trying to escape the dish. It is fighting against its Asian-ness? Silly sauce!
    Conor @ HoldtheBeef recently posted..International Sundae Incident – Snagga Split

12. Trix
    February 21st, 2011 @ 2:27 am

I am really digging how these don’t seem overly sweet, and your little sundae cups are the cutest. Very cool that you ground your own sesame paste!

13. Tammy
    February 21st, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

This look amazing and I think it’s great that you did your own red bean sauce.
    Tammy recently posted..Ant Farm

February 21st, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

mmmm looks amazing Agnes!!

15. Annette
    February 21st, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

Looking at those super photos really made me want to eat this one!!! Especially as it is hot, hot here…

16. mademoiselle délicieuse
    February 21st, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

I was wondering how the red bean sauce was so, well, red!
    mademoiselle délicieuse recently posted..Chinese New Year 2011

17. Jennifer (Delicieux)
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

Your sundaes are gorgeous! I LOVE black sesame ice cream, but have yet to make it at home. I will have to try this recipe.
    Jennifer (Delicieux) recently posted..Chocolate Orange Cake

18. April @ My Food Trail
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

Looks fab Agnes! I’ve been meaning to try making black sesame ice cream since I love black sesame everything!
    April @ My Food Trail recently posted..Recipe- Choc-cherry bliss bomb cookies – The Cookbook Challenge Week 1

19. Rach
    February 23rd, 2011 @ 1:23 am

Wow that looks good!

20. Shirley
    February 23rd, 2011 @ 4:32 am

I’m totally new to using sesame in a dessert. Must give that a try.
    Shirley recently posted..Jackfruit Gadbad-International Sundae Incident

21. Cherrie
    February 23rd, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

This looks beautiful Agnes. I love the sound of the red bean sauce
    Cherrie recently posted..Strawberry Ice cream Sandwich

22. Erwin @ TheLearnerChef
    February 24th, 2011 @ 8:26 pm

That looks awesome!!! Great photos!

23. Maria@TheGourmetChallenge
    February 25th, 2011 @ 8:24 am

hhhmmmm interesting combination. I love sesame seed, so I’m guessing that the ice cream would taste amazing. Love the colour of the red bean sauce….its almost blood like!
    Maria@TheGourmetChallenge recently posted..Ezard