Cookbook Challenge: Week 51, Creamy

Posted on | November 7, 2010 | 25 Comments

Recipe: Green tea ice cream
Adapted from: Darina Allen’s Ballymaloe Cookery Course

Wow, it’s the second to last week of the Cookbook Challenge! The theme for this week is “creamy” and guess what? I made something this week!

Long time readers might remember my takoyaki post from last year. I never mentioned it on the blog, but Bro bought me a takoyaki pan for my birthday! Aww!

I invited Kat and April over as an excuse to use my takoyaki pan again and I thought I would tie my Cookbook Challenge theme in and make green tea ice cream. I don’t have an ice cream maker (I don’t have the freezer space for one, otherwise I would BE SO THERE) so when I saw that the recipe in the Ballymaloe Cookery Course doesn’t need further whisking during the freezing period, I figured it was worth a shot. Instead of making a custard like other ice creams, this ice cream is made with an Italian egg mousse base that’s folded into whipped cream. Then it goes into the freezer – and that’s it!

Here’s the takoyaki starting to cook!

I followed the base recipe for ice cream and added green tea powder that I mixed with enough water to form a thick paste. I used quite a lot of green tea powder, because I hate green tea flavoured things that are insipid and subtle. It meant that my ice cream was slightly bitter and pretty strongly green tea flavoured. It was also very creamy – basically because it’s all cream! However, it didn’t make much ice cream, so I would recommend doubling the recipe. Doubling it would also mean it’s easier to make, since two egg yolks don’t whisk all that well in the mixer!

If you’re like me and don’t have an ice cream maker, try this recipe. You can replace the green tea powder and water with 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract to make vanilla ice cream if you’re not keen on green tea (and what? why not? it’s awesome!)

Thanks to Kat and April for coming over and bringing yummy sushi, salad and caramel slice, as well as giving me an excuse to use my takoyaki pan! :D

Check out previous Cookbook Challenge posts here.

Update: For the round up for this week, see My Food Trail.

Green tea ice cream

Adapted from: Darina Allen’s Ballymaloe Cookery Course

2 egg yolks
50g sugar
125ml water
2-3 tablespoons green tea powder (to taste)
boiling water
600ml softly whipped cream (measure the cream whipped)

Place the egg yolks in a bowl/mixer and whisk over high speed until they are pale and fluffy.

In a saucepan, combine the water and sugar and stir over a medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove the spoon and increase the heat until it boils. Let the syrup boil until it reaches the “thread” stage – 106-113°C – it will be quite thick, and when a metal spoon is dipped into it, the drops of syrup will form firm threads.

Meanwhile, dissolve the green tea powder with enough boiling water to make a smooth paste.

While whisking the egg yolks, pour the hot syrup on to them.

Add some of the egg/syrup mixture to the green tea paste, and fold together, then fold gently into the rest of the egg/syrup mixture.

Fold in the softly whipped cream, then pour into a stainless steel of plastic bowl, cover and freeze.

When serving, remove from the freezer at least 10 minutes before serving.

Comments

25 Responses to “Cookbook Challenge: Week 51, Creamy”

1. Allan
    November 7th, 2010 @ 10:27 pm

green tea over vanilla any day =). and that is a very small portion ey =P
    Allan recently posted..Naked for Satan

Hah, well we ate the ice cream with caramel slice, after a big lunch. So a small portion was enough! :D

2. leaf @ theindolentcook
    November 8th, 2010 @ 12:47 am

Oh yum. I’ve made green tea ice cream once but it’s from a pre-mix I got from the Japanese supermarket, which also doesn’t require an ice cream maker – turned out surprisingly well! :D
    leaf @ theindolentcook recently posted..mr natural vegetarian pizza- fitzroy north

Ah, I didn’t even realise there were pre-mixes for it! That would have been easier! :D

3. GourmetGetaways
    November 8th, 2010 @ 7:12 am

YUM!! It looks amazing! I love my ice-cream, this will be on the list of things to make during summer for sure. I love the colour too :)
    GourmetGetaways recently posted..Spring Cupcakes

Thanks! Hopefully it’ll be a long, warm summer so you have lots of excuses to make ice cream!

4. Anca@bistrogerard
    November 8th, 2010 @ 8:26 am

This looks delicious! My partner loves green tea ice cream, but I’ve never made it at home before due to the fact that I don’t have an ice cream maker. I’ll definitely try your recipe, it sounds so easy to make!
    Anca@bistrogerard recently posted..Leek Zucchini and Cherry Tomato Quiche

It’s very easy! And I love the fact that there’s no further whisking involved after it goes into the freezer – lazy option all the way!

5. Hannah @ Bake Five
    November 8th, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

that’s green tea heaven if you ask me. :D
    Hannah @ Bake Five recently posted..Cheesecake and Annoying K-Pop Bands

Hehee, it was! :)

November 8th, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

*applauds* Hurrah! I don’t have an ice-cream maker either, and usually just sigh over posts like these and move on. Shall have to save this for a week when my lactardation has not reared its ugly head ;)

Also, so with you on wanting a strong green tea taste! After all, if you can’t stand the tannins, get out of the kitchen ;)
    Hannah recently posted..Glimpses of Canberra- Spring Edition

I’m surprised you’re lactose intolerant. Don’t you gorge on cheese?? :)

7. Acquired
    November 9th, 2010 @ 2:55 am

I love green tea and like you I have no ice cream maker either. I find it fun making it the hard way.
    Acquired recently posted..Wrapping up Christmas 2010

I have to admit that I’ve never made ice cream the hard way… I have done sorbet, which wasn’t that successful, so I’ve been hesitant with ice cream!

8. April @ My Food Trail
    November 9th, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Thanks for inviting me!! :)

I can’t believe we had a bit of a food blogger fail moment and didn’t take photos of the takoyaki making!!
    April @ My Food Trail recently posted..Magazine Subscriptions – Australian Gourmet Traveller

I know… what kind of food bloggers are we??

9. Kat (Spatula, Spoon and Saturday)
    November 9th, 2010 @ 9:01 pm

This ice cream was sooooo ace I am going to have to make it! :D

Thanks for a really lovely lunch. I had a great time. And I didn’t take ANY picture either! When I’m being fed by lovely people, I tend to forget about blogging and not bother with the camera. Shame because the meal was just awesome.
    Kat (Spatula, Spoon and Saturday) recently posted..Rich Chocolate Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting Lynnette

You’re welcome anytime you need a takoyaki fix! :D

November 9th, 2010 @ 10:57 pm

oh YUM! No maker ice cream is great. I have my little snowy that is so very temperamental.
    penny aka jeroxie recently posted..The Premises- Kensington

Haha, is your ice cream maker called snowy? That is cute!

11. Conor @ HoldtheBeef
    November 10th, 2010 @ 10:53 am

I couldn’t agree more about the crapness of green tea subtlety. Some friends and I went and had ice cream dessert the other night after gorging on ramen, and my friend was craving green tea ice cream. He was happy to find some at Gelare only to be sorely disappointed by the taste. Since then I’ve been wanting to make him some so the timing of this post couldn’t be better! I just wish I had your crockery to serve it in.
    Conor @ HoldtheBeef recently posted..Everyone needs a friend called Clarence

Daiso, my friend. When you come to Melbourne next year, you must visit Daiso and stock up!

Conor @ Hold the Beef Reply:

I’m totally holding you to that! Why isn’t it next year now!?!
    Conor @ Hold the Beef recently posted..Bust out the bubbly- it’s Awards Night!

I dunno. Probably because of some weird stuff about the earth orbiting the sun. Stupid, huh?

12. betty
    November 25th, 2010 @ 3:33 pm

great recipe thanks for sharing :O)
    betty recently posted..Fat Panda